Wednesday 25 September 2013

2nd Session: Teaching of Whole Numbers

Whole numbers?
Cardinal or ordinal numbers?
Place value?
Uses of numbers?

I was surrounded by these terms last night. I was overwhelmed literally.

In school, I am familiar with teaching whole numbers and place value. But after attending Dr Yeap's class, I wondered whether I had been teaching the children using the correct technique? Did the children really understand what I taught?



Out of all the problems and concepts we discussed, I like what Dr Yeap explained on Rational Counting. Indeed, sometimes in class I did not use the same nouns in doing counting and many of the children were confused. I was so frustrated that I began to doubt my job and hated Mathematics more. I have to agree that using the same nouns/objects would be easier for children to relate and count. I need to be precised in my verbal instructions. E.g. I should count 1 chair, 2 chairs, 3 chairs, 4 chairs instead of 1,2,3,4. This is one of the learning points I picked up.

Another activity that I enjoyed pretty much is the Jack and the Beanstalk video.

The song is catchy and children will definitely like it. Learning Mathematics through songs is also a great way to engage children in.

A question to ponder. There are 51 eggs and I have to share them among Jack, Jill and the mother. How many ways are there that Jack will have more eggs?  If you know the answer, please share with me. It will be a great help for me. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment