Saturday 12 October 2013

Third Session: Teaching of Fractions

What is fraction?

As extracted from Wikipedia, "a fraction (from Latin: fractus, "broken") represents a part of a whole or, more generally, any number of equal parts."




Compare to previous sessions, I enjoyed this session the most. Why? Perhaps I'm slightly confident in multiplication. 

In one of the many problems we discussed, I like problem on using 10 digits to form an equation. It was simple yet interesting. I did it with many trials and errors, coming up with different equations to get the biggest number. It was fun.



Here are some of the snapshots I took.




The rule of this activity is that you cannot reuse the number again. Each number can only be used once. Sharing or borrowing numbers from peers are not permitted. I was so engaged in this activity as it was not that intensive.

Throughout the class, I like what Dr. Yeap said. We should teach children from simple to complex. Concrete to abstract. This is so true! Children's interest is very important. If they are given challenging materials or activities for the first lesson, definitely they will lost interest and motivation in completing the activities.

Looking forward to the next few lessons!



No comments:

Post a Comment